Notes on the Writing Life

Notes on the Writing Life

Notes on the Writing Life

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

.
.
I’ve been spinning my wheels, but this is not entirely unproductive. Mucking about on my computer this morning, filing things away, discovering things missing, giving some thought to how things might be better organized. This is important in terms of research, which generates so many files — files that need to be found quickly, as needed.

In general, I use Notebook as a repository for most all information, but it has limitations. (Too, it’s possible that I’ve not learned to use it perfectly. )

I also store larger documents in DevonThink – but I’ve never been at ease with Devon, in spite of all it’s qualities. I keep thinking I will spend some time with their on-line tutorials – but that requires a high-speed link, as well as time. Also, now that the Mac OS is so searchable, why not simply keep these documents on my computer?

All of this mulling (and hair-pulling) has come after a discovery that a “translation” of an 17th century horsemanship manual I worked on for years is no longer to be found on my computer. When my new computer stopped working, and I had to move back into my old computer, I needed throw off lots of data to make room. Surely, it’s somewhere.

1 comment:

Tess said...

Oh, I hate that feeling. Knowing you had something on your computer and not being able to find it. It's happened to me with an install file for one of my fave pieces of software, so I feel your pain. Hope it shows up!

image