Notes on the Writing Life: Every protagonist needs ...

Notes on the Writing Life

Notes on the Writing Life

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Every protagonist needs ...

.
.
Stephanie Cowell offers this quote from Donald Maass:
"Every protagonist needs a tortuous need, a consuming fear, an aching regret, a visible dream, a passionate longing, an exquisite lust, an inner lack, a fatal weakness, an irresistible plan, a noble idea, an underlying hope… "

2 comments:

Lucy said...

I think he may have nailed this one right on, when it comes to our beloved Josephine. Thanks for the quote Sandra (and by the way, I also believe he's talking about...every woman;-)
Lucy

Sandra Gulland. said...

"I also believe he's talking about...every woman."

NOW you've got me thinking.

My tortuous need? My consuming fear? My aching regret? ...

I'm writing an essay for an anthology on where one is now in the "advanced" stages of life and where one expected to be, etc. — an elegy on ageing, of sorts — and I just might use this quote as a guide. Thanks, Ms. Lucy.

image