.
I love the research required to write a fact-based novel, but there are times when it becomes overwhelming ... like this morning. Not only does my heroine possibly have the heart of a murderer, but the convoluted relationships between two of my other characters — Corneille and Molière — have suddenly become far more complex than I ever imagined. Corneille and Molière were in competition for the king's favour — and my current plot dramatizes this competition — but now there appears to be evidence to suggest that Corneille was in fact writing a number of Molière's plays. In short, that they were collaborators, not competitors. Groan.
All of this will require more study and digestion (and, no doubt, indigestion) -- and no doubt, as well, an hysterical call or two to academics who have offered to help. But right now I feel that this subject is impossibly big.
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Sandra, that's what makes you such a great author- your determination to get the record straight and then write a terrific and captivating historical novel. Your readers know they can always count on that;-)
Thank you, Ms. Lucy! I'm feeling a little stronger today. Perseverance!
Bird by bird...
Bird by bird indeed!
I can't say I'm glad that you're feeling overwhelmed but I am glad to know that even great authors like you struggle with that feeling.
It will pass. Baby steps.
--Amanda in Houston
Amanda, thank you! I think insecurity and doubt are part of every writers' package. It's always such a challenge.
Post a Comment