.
Today was declared "Buy Indie Day" in support of independent bookstores — a wonderful excuse to spend more money on books. Today I bought at the wonderful Nicholas Hoare Bookstore on Front street in Toronto:
Mrs Woolf & the Servants, by Alison Light (about Virginia Woolf's relationship with her servants — delightful, and mildly research-related);
Grimoires; a History of Magic Books, by Owen Davies — research for The Next Novel.
I also ordered The Last Prince of the Mexican Empire by C.M. Mayo, who I've mentioned several times on this blog.
I'm also, now, the proud owner of a Toronto Public Library card, and brought home The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.
I've so many good books to read, I hardly know which way to turn.
4 comments:
How wonderful! That is a great bookstore.
We're staying just around the corner, Lilian -- I'm going to be spending a lot of time there!
The Thirteenth Tale is one of the best books I've read in the last 3 or 4 years! I'd love to hear what you think of it. Do you ever do reviews of books that aren't historical fiction?
I'll move The Thirteenth Tale to the top of the TBR pile, Aunt Stace. Thanks!
I don't often write reviews (as in official, published and paid-to-write reviews), but when I do, it will most often be for a book that's relevant to my writing in some way ... so yes, historical fiction, often of my current period (17th century Europe), or relevant non-fiction. And I more or less have to be confident that I'm going to really like a book before agreeing to review it. I'm not interested in spending time reading a book I don't like, much less writing a negative review about it.
Post a Comment