Notes on the Writing Life: Make her struggle: the key to building a sympathetic character

Notes on the Writing Life

Notes on the Writing Life

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Make her struggle: the key to building a sympathetic character

.
.
As spunky as my main character is, she's too often the passive observer, the angel lifting her skirts out of the muck. I need to activate her.

I note the three words printed in big type and pinned to my wall: WANT -- OBSTACLE -- ACTION. On every page, in every scene. (I've been slipping on this — I've work to do!)

I liked this essay on developing character by Alicia Rasley: "Sympathy without Saintliness." Here's a quote:
So forget about perfection. Forget about loading this poor guy down with a miserable past. Just give the protagonist trouble now, and make it a struggle-- and the reader can't help but sympathize.

We sympathize more with characters who have to WORK to be good, and we see the effort involved.

No comments:

image