Notes on the Writing Life: Distracted by software

Notes on the Writing Life

Notes on the Writing Life

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Distracted by software

.
.
I'm on a Mac (I'm one of the Fervent Faithful) and have been using Microsoft Word forever. I use many of its bells and whistles: comments, hidden text, footnotes, styles. My relationship with Word is conflicted, however: I use Word 2004 because I find Word 2008 impossibly confusing. And lately, Word 2004 has been sluggish and — worse — buggy. Several times in a day it has crashed on me; I've lost work and had to retrace. This is a terrible problem!


So I've been looking into alternatives. OpenOffice.org does seem to be a possibility, but I quickly discovered that I couldn't insert a space above a line (how basic is that?), that zooming and hiding text was cumbersome, and worse, that I can't split the screen. I'm constantly referring back to part of the manuscript I'm working on while working on another part. I need to be able to see both, scroll through.


(What's really nice about OpenOffice — other than the fact that it's free — is that clicking on "full screen" actually does fill the screen.)


I also tested Pages, which has a nice feel. Zooming was a little easier, but I couldn't see how to hide a text selection. But the clincher, for me, yet again, is that it does not allow one to split the screen.


If I could find a comfortable program that had these features, I would consider switching.


I was reading Wen Fu this morning, the ancient text on writing, and nowhere does it deal with the frustrations of a word-processing program.


P.S. "Print out manuscript" is still on the To Do list. Spellcheck took a day!


*****
Website: http://www.sandragulland.com/
Blog: http://sandragulland.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/3xzbgv
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Sandra_Gulland

7 comments:

Travel Writer said...

Sandra,
Have you tried Zoho Writer? Works great for me and it's free as well. I love the fact that they also have invoicing, email, spreadsheets, etc. Take care,
Connie

Sandra Gulland. said...

Hi Connie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into Zoho, and it looked really neat, but for one thing: no way to split the screen. I can't imagine working without that. (At least right now.)

Thanks again,

Sandra

KarenC said...

Sandra, There is a way to split the screen on Pages. I do it accidently frequently. You might ask the Apple folks how to make it happen on purpose.

Sandra Gulland. said...

That's interesting, Karen. I searched an Apple forum and I've asked a Mac Genius, but the answer always seems to be "Can't be done." Do you recall how you do it by accident?

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

I love this site! Thank you sooo much for all your posts!

Kit moss said...

Love Sandra's blog?

Nominate it and any other historical fiction or fact blogs you love at http://historicalnovelblogs.blogspot.com .

Deadline for nominations: January 10

Thanks!

Historical Blogs: Fiction & Fact

image